To register as a Volunteer
linux.conf.au is a grass-roots, community-driven event. It needs bright, enthusiastic people - like you - to make it a success!
Volunteering at linux.conf.au 2017 is a great opportunity, and can be deeply rewarding. On a more practical note, volunteering at linux.conf.au can add to your professional portfolio in many ways - making this an ideal opportunity for students or recent graduates.
- Meeting exceptional people - many of whom are recognised experts in their field and industry luminaries
- Great networking opportunities with people working in the free and open source community
- Gaining practical, hands-on experience and skills in event management, customer liaison, public relations and operation of audio visual equipment - which are invaluable to future employers
The call for volunteers went out in November.
For assistance if you are a Volunteer
What to bring to linux.conf.au
- Laptop, phone, camera, chargers etc - most people bring a laptop, tablet etc. Free WiFi is available. Many Delegates enjoy hacking, coding and developing together at linux.conf.au.
- Sunscreen, sunglasses and a water bottle - Hobart, although coastal, can have high summer temperatures. The conference venue is at Sandy Bay with a beach nearby, feel free to bring swimming gear.
- Clothes and toiletries - the conference venue is a short bus ride away from Hobart CBD, so you'll be OK if you forget anything. Remember to bring any medication you may need. Please note that you cannot fill a prescription for schedule 4 or higher drugs that was issued in any other state of Australia in Tasmania.
- Identification and, if international, your passport- for registration purposes, we may need to see identification, and if you're a student, we'll need to see your student card. Hobart has plenty of beer, and in accordance with liquor laws, you may be asked for ID to be served alcohol.
- Cash or card - you will likely have some incidental expenses during the conference. There's an ATM at the conference venue, and most nearby venues take card.
- An appetite - Hobart has a magnificent range of eateries and restaurants all within walking distance.
See Emergency Contacts page.